Job Posting: Freshet Collective Seeks Legal Defense Coordinator
The Freshet Collective seeks a licensed attorney with social movement experience to help coordinate legal defense efforts for water protectors arrested during actions against the Dakota Access pipeline near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation.
Our team of attorneys and organizers is on the ground in the camps and in Bismarck-Mandan, working to provide legal support for the 600+ water protectors facing trial in the coming months.
The Legal Defense Coordinator’s responsibilities include:
- Provide bail advisements and jail support to water protectors
- Vet, recruit, and communicate with attorneys to provide representation for water protectors
- Leverage offsite attorneys and law students to assist with mass defense coordination, conduct research, and organize motions/briefs
- Work with legal organizers on the ground to respond quickly to daily needs
- Work in coalition with the Water Protector Legal Collective, a partner legal team operating with support from the National Lawyers Guild
- Criminal defense experience
- Active licensure
- Social movement experience
- Mass defense experience (desired qualification)
- Strong written, verbal, and digital communication skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high-stress, unpredictable environment
- Ability to spend majority of time in Mandan and Bismarck, ND
- Ability to work collaboratively with a horizontally structured team of attorneys and organizers
The Legal Defense Coordinator will be an independent contractor of the Freshet Collective. Compensation may include:
- A salary commensurate upon experience and need
- Room and board in Mandan, ND
- Travel expenses, supplies, etc.
Indigenous attorneys are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com